Friday, October 24, 2014

Film Review: (Mr. Morgan's) Last Love with Michael Caine


I watched "Last Love" the other day with high hopes.  It is newly released on Netflix and entirely worth watching just for the main character's HUGE apartment in Paris and his house in Saint-Malo -- both the stuff of dreams.  The film is also peppered with French and takes place mostly in Paris.  Now that the important stuff is out of the way -- have a look at the trailer:

This film got terrible reviews (here and here) and even though I was brought to tears several times when Caine's character interacts tenderly with his wife's ghost, I was generally uncomfortable through the entire film. I felt like I was sitting through a sales pitch.  The only character I really liked was Pauline (Clemance Poesy -- excuse the lack of accents).  Gillian Anderson does play an excellent shallow, crass and selfish daughter -- a great performance, so much so that I hated this woman.  Caine (normally one of my faves) was bland and the entire story line was unrealistic and felt contrived.  What do you think?  Let me know in the comments below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment